From:
"Pamela R. Sturm" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:30:58 -0500
This past Saturday night 3/22/97, I had to do the hardest thing I'll ever
need to do in my life.  I had to say good bye to my ferret, Tesla.  She was
a three year old albino baby.  I noticed on Friday that her breathing was
very heavy.  So, Saturday morning I took her out to see the vet, expecting
it might be a form of pneumonia.  Well, he too x-rays and found nothing.
She was so full of fluid in her chest cavity that the film looked cloudy.
All her organs were being pushed down into her intestines and her windpipe
was up against her spine.  The Doctor said she most likely has a tumor in
the chest area or this was the actual deterioration of the heart muscle.
Anyway you looked at it she had less than a week to live and a painful week
it would have been.  She could not sleep or eat.  It was if she was fighting
to stay alive.  Well, I took he home, knowing what had to be done.  I wanted
to give her a chance to say good bye to the six brothers & three sisters she
was leaving behind.  Later in the evening when I was ready, I took her to
the emergency clinic to relive all her pain.  I wasn't sure she knew what
was going on, but I was not going to leave her side.  I held her as the shot
was given.  It took affect in less than ten seconds and I gently kissed her
good bye.  It was my face she was seeing as she passed on to another place.
I stayed with her for several minutes until I felt comfortable enough to
leave.  She will be cremated and returned to me on Wednesday.  I don't know
how other people handle these things, but I am having a tough time with
this.  She was my youngest baby.  This was the first out of ten that I have
lost.  I read other people talking of the rainbow bridge.  Does anyone have
the story?  I could really use a copy of it.  My heart goes out to her where
ever she is, which I know is a better place than here.  Good bye Tesla.

Pamela Sturm
Pittsburgh, PA