From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 12:11:28 -0400
Bob, I know that your mailbox is going to be overflowing, so I just wanted
to let you know how sorry Steve and are about Apollo.  Then again, there's
something about Apollo which makes us glad: he had you and you took the
right course of action.  You treated his cardiomyopathy, then you sought
further information and shared that with your vet and responded logically
symptoms so the ferrets are MUCH more comfortable and happier, they also
live a LOT longer.  Through loving him enough to act on your love you
changed him from having a last few fading months to a final largely happy
year.  He and you were fortunate to have each other.

To Those Who Don't Have Any Emergency Procedures Arranged: Do it NOW.
You know what I mean: fire exits, little plug-in fire lights, smoke
alarms, a place to keep your ferret if a pet hating landlord find it, etc.
FIRST CALL YOUR VET'S OFFICE ***NOW*** AND FIND OUT WHAT TO DO WHEN AN
AFTER-HOURS EMERGENCY OCCURS!  Medical emergencies happen to everyone so
that's why you must do this right away.  This is a BASIC which everyone
needs to tackle even before getting a pet, or as soon as moving to a new
area.

Folks, PLEASE, do NOT blast someone who has become exasperated when vets
aren't used.  Okay?  Please?  Please!  The simple fact of the matter is
that some of those individuals (not me this time though I've sure done it
in the past on a few occasions) are ones who help more ferrets survive in a
year than you might ever know in a lifetime unless you also match actions
to words.  The simple fact of the matter is that anyone who has been on the
FML for a long time or anyone who receives a lot of "Help me!" letters
knows that there are a sadly large number of individuals who like to say
they love their critters but who don't take them to the vet.  In the recent
instance it appears that the owner DID try -- though that wasn't mentioned
in the first post -- but there really ARE those who never get their ferrets
vaccinations, don't use vets, and then talk up a storm about how they love
their critters.  It's like the individuals who like to complain
vociferously about city or state regulations and then never seem to have
the time to write to a senator, or attend a meeting in their own
neighborhood.  ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!!!!!!!!!

Oh, speaking of that, I still am trying to find the time to come to the
city for the hearing, but it's not likely, and since I'm not a city
resident, anyway, it's really you NYC folks who will be carrying the ball
on this issue, and I really, really hope you do it in massive numbers!!!!!!
Attendance IS very important to help NYC ferrets and ferret owners.
Please, let everyone know how the June 3rd hearing goes since it could help
you or hurt you and people DO care about you!!!  Please, attend and tell us
all everything about it!!!!!!  Everyone is counting on you!  Unless
anything has changed it will be 10 - Noon, 6/3/99, at 125 Worth St., second
floor auditorium.  THIS IS A CHANCE FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE A FERRET,
ADORE A FERRET, WANT A FERRET TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND HELP FERRETS!!!!
(It may also send a useful signal to places like CA, some of the
incorporated areas around SLC, and D.C.) SAVE A FERRET -- or two, three,
or more!

My schedule is REALLY HOSED for about a month coming up.  I still have to
review something for Paige and get some replies sorted out into useful
format, etc.  I really, really haven't forgotten, just don't know what to
use for extra time so, please, be patient.  We're all in this position now
and then.

Sukie