From:
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 11:30:00 -0700
>From:    Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Orange Ferrets
>99% of the time when you see the orange discoloration in the fur, it is
>because they are being fed cheap/bad food with loads of dyes that seep
>into the fur.

Perhaps in areas where you aren't familiar with animals kept outdoors.
Food dye does contribute to coloring - true cinnamons were real common when
folks used cheap cat food but have disappeared now that breeders use
quality ferret and cat food for example.  But given that these animals were
at a "swap meet" setting we'd suspect these might have been some ranch type
breeder trying to reduce his hob stock as a possibility.

>From:    Heather Hildebrandt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Canine Distemper in Ferrets
>After reading on the 'net, the symptoms (diarrhea, lethargy, nausea, and
>CNS symptoms) really seem to match what our ferrets have experienced but
>I thought canine distemper was 100% fatal in ferrets!

Canine Distemper is not 100% fatal but it is only treatable with extremely
expensive and somewat experimental treatments.  The method is mentioned in
Fox's book but described as impractical.  The normal treatment for distemper
is immediate euthanization.

The symptoms though that should be checked for are the hardened scaly paw
pads and orange crusty discharges on the nose and around the eyes.  This
shows up before the nervous system problems are noticable.

>Have any of you heard where a vaccine has provided partial immunity to
>distemper?

Not in the way you are thinking.

>From:    Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vaginitis
>How does this sound to the more experienced?

Sounds like a vet that knows what he's doing.

>From:    John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adrenal gland tumor
>surgery is iffy because she's small (1.5 pounds)

That is not small for a female.  Its about normal.

>From:    Kesodo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: blue eyes
>My youngest male's eyes recently turned blueish-grey in the center like
>pupils.

Possibly cataracts.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets