From:
KimVndLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 01:18:41 EDT
Hi Everyone,

I usually just lurk here.  I don't always have the time to read all the
posts, so forgive me if this is a recently discussed topic:

I think I've just acquired my second ferret.  It's a long story, but lets
say he's temporary until December 31.  He'll be permanent after that if
circumstances are right.

My first ferret is a spayed female.  She is about 1 year and 9 months old.
She has not seen another ferret since her rescue from a pet store that was
going to euthanize her due to a broken paw.

The second ferret is a neutered male.  He is about 11 months old.  He was
purchased from a pet store and also has not seen another ferret since
leaving there.  He had to leave his first home due to his owner's allergies.
Yes, she is really allergic to him (not litter, "bedding", shampoo, etc.)

Anyway, my question is what is the best way to help these 2 ferrets get
along?  My husband is adament that there will not be 2 cages permanently.
I agree with him since there is really a good spot just for one cage.

I moved my female's cage to the basement rec room (her "run free" room which
is ferret-proofed).  I put the male's cage next to hers.  I am giving them
short supervised play-times together.  There has been no fighting, just
hissing and some following or chasing of each other.  There has been no
other interaction.  Is this all part of the normal process?

Thank you all!!

Kim