Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 00:03:16 -0900
MC said:
>I wonder how long the Alaskan cruise ships stay in port, there in
>Anchorage? Thinking wife and I could take that Alaskan cruise and stop
>off in Anchorage, then re-board 2 or 3 days later and continue the
>cruise...... or..if the ship stays there for several days, we could
>stay on board the ship and come into town every day. Hmmmm...have to
>research that one......

So, MC, that is actually an excellent idea. We do have a cruise line
that comes to Anchorage. You should look out for the ones that say
Anchorage, but actually dock in Whittier or Seward and then have trips
via bus or rail to Anchorage. There are a lot of add-on packages and
that can work out really well for people who want to combine things.
You can also cruise into Anchorage and then fly back. It is one of the
cruise options. Obviously, the time frame matches the tourist season,
May 15 - Sept 15 and the hotel rates are better than you can get
otherwise. Here is a link to provide some more information.
<http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/alaska/cruises/extend/stay/anchorage.html>

Another option that costs less and travels the same routes is to check
out the ferry systems. They have cabins but they are not the same high
quality as the cruise ships; you can also camp on the deck. This option
is chosen by many backpackers and adventurers. Much less expensive and
land in Whittier, but you will need transportation to Anchorage from
there.You can also take your car. You can check out the routes at
ferryalaska.com. They will send you a DVD of the routes as well as a
paper copy of the routes, times, options, etc.

Hope this helps you get a jumpstart on planning. I will also post this
on the facebook page, too. Oh, one thing people need to know. You do
NOT need a passport to just travel to Alaska. You DO need a passport
if you are getting off in Canada.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we