From:
Richard & Stacie Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 19:23:59 -0500
I am a smoker with 2 weasels - both about 2 years old.  Lately (about 3
months ago), we have noticed that one of them, Ali, has developed some mild
congestion in the throat which we have had thoroughly checked out with
x-ray, bloodwork, etc.  She is otherwise quite active (a total freak
actually); eating and pooping fine.  Our other one has shown no signs of the
same.  The diagnosis is an allergy, whether to my smoking, our new
detergent, who really knows?  We are making as many environmental changes as
we can, but no effects so far.  I hate to say the smoking is a tough one for
me.... of course I want to quit and I don't want my Ali to be congested
because of something I'm doing.  I'm not a heavy smoker (about 10 cigarettes
a day), but apparently even going outside is not enough because she would be
sensitive to any smell on the clothes which the human nose wouldn't even
react to.

My question to y'all is has anyone dealt with this before?  We just began
trying chlor-trimeton liquid, 1ml 2x daily, but it's just too soon to tell.
And of course this couldn't be a permanent solution.  But will this work in
the meantime?  I know someone else posted recently about allergies in
ferrets but received few responses.  Are they just not common in ferrets??

Sincerely,

Stacie and Rich Armstrong
Bandit and Ali-pants