Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:21:10 -0800
I was a recent volunteer at a animal facility This particular facility
relies solely on volunteer help, and the *help* of community service
workers, juvenile and adult.

Also many of the volunteers are folks with special needs.

All volunteers attend a class. They sign a agreement form that says
what is expected of them, and what they may NOT do. Classes are
repeated regularly.

Juveniles must attend with a parent/guardian.

There are 3 people at this facility that are in charge of the folks
with special challenges. Two are special ed teachers, another is a
social worker.

Those 3 assign new volunteers or challenged folks to seasoned
volunteers.

We are to keep these folks within *reach* so to speak. If we, for any
reason feel uncomfortable in a situation, or feel that we may be
loosing control, we must ask for assistance at once.

Things can go downhill very fast.

For example, one young man had been there many times, and there had
never been problems with him. He did tend to follow you around singing,
but got his chores done if you kept *reminding* him.

One day he just disappeared. His *partner* had left to use the
bathroom, and when he came back, the young man was gone. His
assignment, that he always did very well, was to prepare food dishes
for some of the animals.

He was located quickly, attempting to get in to feed *his* animals.
Big NO NO.

Poor kid. Yes, his feelings were hurt, he sulked for days. But, he
learned, and never did that again. His partner was also disciplined.
His experience was presented at the next class, we ALL learned.

I don't have volunteers come here to my home to help with the ferrets
unless they are my ferrety friends.

We do have volunteers that come to our educational events at PetSmart.
Most are wonderful, some need a bit more guidance.

They come for a few times and just observe, hand out hand sanitizer,
do poop patrol and help keep little fingers OUT of the play areas.

I recently had one little one that was doing just fine with the *feel
how soft his fur is* routine, when suddenly he grabbed and squeezed.
Hard. I took the ferret and explained to the mom, and him, there would
be no more *petting* until he learned to be gentle.

I learned, little kids can be too rough, too quick. No harm this time,
but I will be even more watchful from now on.

For my *OMG* experience, I stepped on my Jackson. It was early morning
run time. He followed me out of a room, ran in front of me and stopped.

I still feel the softness of that wee body, hear the breath come
screaming out, see the vomit. I was careless. I knew he and others were
underfoot.

I took him to my vet immediately and he was OK. Could have been a very
tragic and painful end to a sweet little boy. My fault.

Ardith