From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:42:18 -0400
>It's good to quarantine the new ones for a week.  Keep them in different
>areas of the home.  You can let the new one play in the same area, but
>don't let them use the same water/food/litter box.  This way if the new
>ones are sick it won't give it to the other one.  This would cut down on
>yours getting ECE, parasites or bacterial infections.

It's not a bad idea to quarantine newcomers to make sure all is ok, but a
week long quarantine won't do a thing to prevent ECE.  Probably wouldn't
help with parasites either, unless we're talking about fleas and they're
rid of them before the quarantine period is over.  Also, letting the ferret
that is suppose to be in quarantine play in the same area as the others
isn't a very effective quarantine.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC