From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 09:34:07 -0500
>Regarding futons: I understand the reasons for wanting a futon (safety for
>the ferret and less damage), but... We have futons and they are terribly
uncomfortable...

Maybe it depends on the futon.  We got an expensive one with a very thick
mattress.  Ours slid down, too, but my husband took a gismo designed for
tieing down motorcycles when you tow them on a trailer and basically tied
the mattress to the frame where it bends (like between the upper and seat
areas).  This has worked beautifully, and doesn't interfere with turning the
couch into a bed.  But my futon is not right against the floor like a lot of
them are.  When mine is in couch mode, it looks like a couch.

My ferrets are currently in the process of (and being helped by the cats)
digging right through the back of my stuffed chair.  We took the legs off
because they were getting into it and tearing chunks of foam out (I was
afraid they'd eat it and block).  That worked until someone found a little
rip under the cushion and they use that as an entrance point (*sigh*) The
whole family cooperated to chase them off the chair so they couldn't do
that, so now they're working on a hole in the back!!!  This chair isn't long
for this world, I'm afraid.  Unless I reupolster the whole thing, it's
turning into a ferret play ground.  :(

--Barb--