From:
Cassie Perusse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:10:58 -0300
Hello,

I just wanted to clear up some points and find out some information.  In my
original post I did come across strongly and may not have used correct
information.  The intent of my post was to convey that the "victim's" lack
of urgency in taking the shot series would put any risk to his life squarely
on his own shoulders while Ms. Burns' comments made it seem that she was a
hero for protecting his life when we all know Kodo is not infected.  I did
not imply that Kodo had rabies or should be tested.

As far as the shot series goes, I had believed that taking them as early
after a bite was very important as it was the only thing available to
possibly counteract the rabies virus.  I did not say that the "victim" would
be dead in 10 days.  I said that the effectiveness of the shot series would
be diminished as time passed.  What I have read is five shots over four
weeks.  Killed virus vaccines are better taken before exposure, but since
rabies has a long incubation period it should have time to work when taken
immediately after the bite.  Even if the rabies virus can live dormant in
the human body, the time-frame for taking the shot series shouldn't be any
different, or is it?

The main point is that over 40 days have passed and no one from the health
departments seem to be encouraging this man to take the shots leads me to
believe that no one from the other side really thinks Kodo is infected, even
Ms. Burns.  She and the attorneys are so wrapped up in this now to validate
their actions in having Kodo taken away they will stop at nothing to reach
that end.