From:
Jaime De Castellvi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:28:14 -0500
A quick query.  I have three ferrets with me right now, just recovering
from the flu through a daily dosage of amoxicilin in a peptobismol solution
and of benadryl allergy relief for children.

This morning I noticed that one of the fresher stools looked normal in most
respects except for a fine elongated thread extending from it, almost like
one of those made by melted caramel sugar.  I didn't think much of it,
although I made a mental note to keep an ete on it.  During play time
today I fed all three ferrets some of those 8in1 pro ferrets Ferretbites
("gourmet treats for ferrets"), banana-raisin flavours.

Later on, I had taken two of the three fuzzies to the vet for after-flu
check and to have tartar removed from one of them, who also had his
temperature taken.  Approximately an hour later, I noticed a fresh stool
in the travel cage liter.  It was brownish, mostly liquid, but the oddest
thing is that it seemed to be composed almost entirely of little seeds or
elongated poppy-seed like (both in shape and in size) thingies.  The rest
of their stools today appear to have been normal but I have been at work
most of the afternoon so I haven't been able to watch them much.

Would those ferretbite treats have anything in them which would resemble
little seeds?  If not, what else could be causing something like that?
One thought that worried me is the possibility that they might be little
eggs of some sort or other (such as for some kind of worm).  Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jaime

P.S.- I'm also going to contact my vet about it, but I wanted to see if
anybody else has run into anything like this before.  It is highly unusual,
and I can't think of anything they would have eaten to cause this to any of
them.