From:
"Debout, Sandra A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:55:54 -0400
I have been reading the FML for several years now but seldom post a note.
The last few day, I have seen a few comments about shelter conditions.  The
picture was painted as a VERY undesirable situation.  Please keep in mind
that not all shelters are in an over crowded condition with lack of funds
and little out time for the ferrets.

I am a shelter director for WNYFLFA (Western New York & Finger Lakes Ferret
Association).  We have 6 older but healthy ferrets.  5 of these are in very
loving foster homes and the 6th will be going to a foster home in the next
few weeks. Several of these have has surgery and have recovered and are
enjoying their remaining years.  The decision to put a ferret to sleep is a
joint one with our Dr. advising us.

ALL of the ferrets in the shelter have at least 2 play times each day for
up to 1 hour each depending on their age and activity level.  I personally
handle each ferret every day and show them love and attention.

I also work but am fortunate enough to work from my home so I can attend to
the ferrets needs during the day as well as in the evening.  Each week,
every cage gets completely cleaned, bedding washed and litter pans cleaned.

This shelter is part of a club and,I must say, we have some really terrific
members and officers of this club.  I have recently had Carpal Tunnel
surgery on both hands and I have had alot of help.  Every day someone
stopped in to scoop litter pans, do nails, fill food dishes, change water
in water bottles or to throw in a load of laundry.  If (or when) the work
was done, we just spent time playing with the ferrets.  I believe that if
someone wants to help by playing with the ferrets, I appreciate their time.
The more people that handle them the more friendly they become.  I have
devoted two bedrooms of my home to the club and shelter.  I had the carpet
removed and linoleum put down for easier clean-up.

Possibly we don't have the volume of ferrets coming in as some of the
shelters.  We bring in and adopt about 70 ferrets per year.  The most I
have had at one time is 23 and I know how demanding that was.  We also run
a corner store of ferret related items and the display is set up in one of
the ferret rooms.  In addition to the normal store items, I sell Totally
Ferret, Marshall Diet & wood stove pellets which are stored in another area
of my home.  I have also only been doing this for 3 years so maybe I am
just not burned out as yet.

As for finances, we are holding our own.  We manage to pay our bills each
and every month.  We do several fund raisers during the year.  This weekend
we are having a garage sale.  We also do ferret sitting / boarding which
also helps fund the shelter.  The fact that the shelter & the club are
together, works for us.  I understand some have tried this and it failed.
I am not quite sure why ours works but it does.

Possibly this is not the average shelter but I do want people to know there
may be more like this home shelter than the over crowded picture that was
painted.  If anyone is in the Rochester, N.Y. area, I would love to have
you come and visit our shelter.

My point is that blanket statements do not fit all situations.
Sandy