From:
"Selina, Birch, Dief, Sprite, Storm, Sand & Bear" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 06:35:01 -0500
Just something about pet food.  The petstore near me recently recommended a
food called Sensible Choice, after I asked for Eukanuba and they said
they had something better.  I was kind of skeptical at first since another
petstore told me they had something better and it turn out to be those
really cheap ferret food preserved with BHA.  The owner game me sample
packages and the ingredient list look promising.  The ferrets liked it
(they get ~50% TF, ~25% Eukanuba kitten and ~25% Sensible Choice kitten
right now).  I think they claim that they have nothing in their food you
won't find in nature, and all their protein come from chicken, and the only
grain source they used is rice, which is supposedly more digestible.  Their
percentages seems fine, but after reading Bob C's Diet 101, I understand
that percentages don't mean that much unless you know exactly where it
comes from.

I don't know too much about food stuff in general, but the ingredient list
follows and you can judge for yourself.  Their website is

    www.sensiblechoice.com

I was told by the owner of the store that there are some pet food companies
that won't sell to petsmart and other chains, but select smaller petstores
who will sell it as their house brand, and this is one of them.  You'll
have to call them to find a local distributer.  The price range is about >=
to Eukanuba, which I take as a good sign.  If you can enlignten me on
anything, please email me!  Thanx.

Another comment on cats:  My roommate's cats used to get Iams
Diet, which they really hate, and they like Sensible Choice
Diet a whole lot more.  Of course, they like Eukanuba cat
better and spent their days trying to steal the ferrets' food.

--------------------------

Ingredients:
  Chicken meal, brewers rice, rice flour, chicken, chicken fat
  (preserved with mixed tocopherols), powdered cellulose, spray
  dried chicken liver, chicken digest, spray dried whole eggs,
  brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate,
  DL-methionine, salt, calcium carbonate, choline chloride,
  vitamin E supplement, taurine, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid,
  zinc proteinate, vitamin A supplement, copper proteinate, zinc
  oxide, niacin supplement, pyridoxin hydrochloride, biotin,
  copper sulfate, calcium panthothenate, manganous oxide, extract
  of rosemary, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin
  B12 supplement, calcium ioadate, riboflavin supplement, folic
  acid, sodium selenite.
Guaranteed Analysis
  Crude Protein (min) 33.00%
  Crude Fat (min)     20.00%
  Crude Fiber (max)    3.00%
  Moisture (max)      10.00%
  Ash (max.)           6.00%
  Magnesium (max.)     0.09%

// Selina, Birch, Dief, Sprite, Storm, Sand & Bear
// http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu