From:
Grace Sylvan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 10:48:00 PDT
> Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>28-1-13.  ... isolation of the biting animal shall be as follows: (1) An
>owned domestic animal shall be isolated for an appropriate period...

>28-1-13 (4) Wild animals, including rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats,
>squirrels, and other species not ordinarily known to be involved in the
>transmission of rabies, need not be sacrificed and submitted for laboratory
>examination for evidence of rabies infection, unless the circumstances of
>the biting incident, in the judgement of the local health officer, indicate

>I know ferrets are domestic but they won't budge on section (1).  Section
>(4) would actually offer them more protection.  I need your help.

While I can see that section (4) already exists, ferrets are certainly
covered under section (1)!  Look at the new Humane Society Statement, look
at the existing rabies vaccine, etc.  I would not aim so low, but go for it
all.  There's still plenty of time if people hussle to also flood the place
with mail documentation - copies of the Humane Society statement, which
lumps ferrets in with domestic dogs and cats/pets.  Actual info about the
rabies vaccine, etc.

Best of luck to you, from a Californian, where the sweeties are still
fugitives, although we've won our first, but not last, major victory.

--
Tigger (Grace Sylvan)                Mom of Katherine Yelena, 6.5,
[log in to unmask]              Robin Gregory, 4