From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:11:43 -0400
Sukie Note: By the looks of things there is reason to repeat this
again. It surely can't hurt and it really could help a lot, especially
since a number of over the counter parasite products can kill ferrets.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL353

> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:36:42 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [ferrethealth] Fleas, ticks, and heartworm products
>
>Hello everyone,
>
>Since it is spring (at least here in the South) and the beginning of
>bug season, I thought I would post about the flea, tick, and heartworm
>products that are safe for ferrets.
>
>FLEAS: There are several safe and effective flea products.
>
>1) Frontline, Frontline Plus, and Frontline spray are all safe and
>effective against fleas. One tube of the cat size per ferret once a
>month. With the spray version: 1 spray per pound of ferret (ie a 2
>pound ferret gets 2 sprays) once a month. Frontline, Frontline Plus,
>and Frontline spray also kills ticks.
>2) Advantage is safe and effective against fleas. One tube of the small
>size cat per ferret once a month.
>3) Revolution is safe and effective against fleas. One tube of the cat
>sized per ferret once a month. Revolution is also called Stronghold in
>Europe. Revolution will also kill ticks, ear mites, prevent heartworms,
>and deworms each month.
>
>TICKS there are several safe and effective tick products.
>
>1) Frontline, Frontline Plus, and Frontline spray are all safe for tick
>control. Again one tube of the cat size once a month. With the spray:
>2 sprays per pound of ferret (ie a 2 pound ferret gets 4 sprays)
>2) Revolution is safe and effective for ticks. Again one tube of the
>cat size per ferret once a month.
>3) Advantix is sort of safe for tick control on ferrets. Advantix
>contains 2 ingredients: imidacloprid for fleas and permethrin for
>ticks. Permethrin is absorbed thru the skin and into the blood stream.
>Permethrin at high doses can cause problems to ferrets (and dogs and
>esecially cats). Frontline would be a safer option because it does
>not get absorbed thru the skin. It stays on the oil layer on the skin.
>
>HEARTWORMS: there are several options for heartworm prevention too.
>
>Yes, ferrets can and do get heartworms, and heartworms are usually
>fatal in ferrets.
>
>1) Heartgard for cats, Heartgard Plus for small dogs, and liquid
>ivermectin are all safe for heartworm prevention. One chewable tablet
>once a month or liquid ivermectin orally once a month.
>2) Interceptor (Milbemycin oxime) for small dogs (2-10 lbs). One tablet
>once a month. These tablets are small enough to crush up and mix into
>ferretone or baby food. They are beef flavored and some ferrets will
>eat them. Interceptor should also deworm them each month and should
>control ear mites too.
>3) Revolution for cats (5-15 lbs). One tube per ferret once a month.
>Revolution will prevent heartworms, kill fleas, ticks, ear mites, and
>deworm each month.
>4) Advantage Multi is the newest heartworm product. Advantage Multi
>contains 2 ingredients: imidacloprid for fleas and moxidectin for
>heartworm prevention. Advantage Multi will also kill ear mites and
> [...]

brought to the FML with author's permission by one of the FHL
moderators, Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: