From:
Bruce Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 17:29:27 -0700
Kat writes:
>tell me more about the microchip?  I know that info about a ferret's (or
>any other pet ) home address, vaccinations, etc., can be encoded on a
>microchip the size of a grain of rice and inserted subcutaneously, and that
>the chip can then be scanned if proof of ownership or rabies status must
>ever be proved.  Is this technology widely available?

ID microchips are made by two companies in the US and are available at most
vet offices.  While all they do is transmit an ID number when viewed with a
reader at the vet office or shelter, a main computer run by the companies
stores the owner's info.  With all the found birds and exotic pets I see, I
think this is a realtively cheap and effective means of safeguarding your
pet.
--
Bruce S.  Levine, DVM
"Lost in Cyberspace"