From:
Katrina D Ramsell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:15:05 -0500
To:Pamela K Barber
 Hi Pam! I think Ernie may have insulinomas. I have a ferret who had episodes
just as you described. She would paw at her mouth, drool, make funny noises,
act confused, etc. One day she started to go into a hypoglycemic coma. I would
take Ernie to the vet and have his glucose checked. If it is below 60, then I'd
say he most likely has insulinoma problems. These tumors can often be removed.
The ferret that had been having these episodes had insulinoma surgery done by
Dr. Brown in Chicago about 2 years ago and hasn't shown any signs of it coming
back yet. If Ernie's glucose is low, you can give him half a crushed Brewers
yeast tablet (NOT baking yeast) twice a day. If he has major episodes or
seizures again, you can rub some Kayro corn syrup into his gums to help
stabilize his glucose and get him through the episode. I give my ferret her
yeast in about a teaspoon of warm runny chicken baby food. Kayro syrup can be
given in emergencies when he's having an episode, but don't give it on a daily
basis or it might make his situation worse in the long run. Make sure you go to
a vet who really knows what they are doing if Ernie needs insulinoma surgery.
Good luck!
                                                  Katrina Ramsell
P.S. You might try a hairball remover (like Laxitone) if you really think he
may have eaten part of a towel.