From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:28:17 EST
Regarding post surgery and helpful things to know...when Shania had her
surgery for insulinoma, she constantly licked her shaved tummy.  She didn't
do it where the stitches were, but everywhere else.  Her abdomen became
very "raw".  My vet prescribed some cream, which Shania just licked off.
We also tried a "body bandage" but that didn't work either.  I finally
thought of putting corn starch on the raw area.  I don't know why, but it
worked wonderfully!  She stopped licking and, within 24 hours, the entire
are was cleared up.  I knew corn starch wouldn't hurt her even if she did
lick it and it is used in some types of human body powders, so I thought
it was worth a shot.  My vet was absolutely amazed.

Not all ferrets have a problem like Shania did, but for the odd one that
does...corn starch works!

Judy