From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:51:30 -0400
The Ferret Association of CT has published the guidelines for
distributing funds collected in the Disaster Relief Fund started as a
result of Katrina.  You can read all about it and, if needed, obtain
the application for funds on our website: http://www.ferret-fact.org

Or, if you want to donate, you can do that too! :)

We have not yet hit our $1000 match limit as of the last update I
recieved.  But if we do, the board has been making noise that we should
continue the match out of our pockets!!! ... but they haven't put that
in writing and I'm not holding my breath!  But as they say, it's the
thought that counts!

Some may ask, why an application?  Why paperwork?  Why not just send
money?  Good question.

Fast answer - is that it is how all professional non-profits operate.

Unless they have a small "pool" of emergency funds that they can just
hand out in small doses, all distributions of cash and support are done
by application for several reasons.

First, it requires that the requesting person or group really think about
what they need, why, and how it will be used.  Which allows the granting
organization to report back to the donors on how their money is being
spent!

Second, it helps the donor organization better understand the need and
assess how it may best be met.  For example - if someone needs cages,
maybe they are available from another source and we can point the
requestor in that direction.  Or, they may overlook a need they have.
It can work both ways.

Third, and no one wants to consider this, is that by asking for aid and
completing an application, there is now a paper trail in the event of
fraud.  No one is going to chase after $25 - but it does give one pause
before misrepresenting the facts of their case.

We do hope no one feels the "paperwork" is onerous.  It is a very "light"
version of most grant application.  And, please, just because someone is
not a 501(c)3 doesn't mean they may not be deserving of help!  FACT has
purposely allowed "for profits" to request funding (like vets or boarding
facilities) .  It's all about helping the ferrets!  And in times of
emergency, many for profits are going above and beyond to help - that
behavior needs to be recognized and encouraged.  Perhaps someone has
space, but no staff to clean it.  We need to look and consider beyond
the obvious.

Thanks all for getting this information into the hands of those who may
best be helped by it.

Ann Gruden
President, Ferret Association of CT, Inc. (FACT)