From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 07:55:07 EST
To Chris and Carla concerning cardiomyopathy:

        I am sorry for your recent losses.  Last night I tried to find a copy of
an article I wrote several months ago for the FML on CMP, but it seems to have
departed my disk.  But I believe you can get it from the FAQ, or CARDIO
DISEASES, as Judy said a few days ago.

        In short, CMP is a congenital problem in some lines of ferrets that
manifests as ferrets get older.  CMP means that the muscle of the heart becomes
progressively weaker, and the heart is no longer strong enough to pump all of
the blood.  ASt he muscle weekens, it stretchess, and the heart gradulaay
enlarges, sort of like a balloon.

        As the blood begins to back up, it will accumulate fboth within the lung
and around the lung (often also in the abdominal cavity), resulting in coughing,
which is the most commonly noticed sign.  Actually, msot animals have decreases
in activity first, as they tire easily.  The fact that your pet only coughed for
about a week prior to its death is unusual.

        CMP can be treated with some drugs, including diuretics which help it
manage the load, but the damage is progressive and cannot be reversed.

        Once again, I am sorry for your loss.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000