From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:52:48 -0400
>We mix in some Gold Medal bone meal -- each ferret gets about 1
>tablespoon per day

I don't find anything about "Gold Metal Bone Meal", but did find a
"Solid Gold Bone Meal" which the pages on Google say is guaranteed
free of heavy metals such as lead. Is that the one you are using? Here
in the U.S. the food company "Gold Metal" is owned by Betty Crocker and
no bone meal is listed. Is it a different company with the same name?

Ferrets do like fat in their food; they need some, too, just not a lot
of unsaturated fats, and not a lot of seafood fats so that Yellow Fat
Disease can be avoided. See the two archives for info on that.

When supplementing Vitamin A try to use sources that do not have a lot
of Vitamin D or from having too much Vitamin D for their species' needs
the ferrets will get hyercalcemia and calcium deposits in organs like
the kidneys and heart.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/