From:
"Charleen H. Schuster" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 16:31:44 EDT
Probably most of you don't remember me or my Ferrets.  I don't post that
often, but if you remember sometime back I posted about My ferret, Cinnamon
Bear having a white spot in the back of his throat and wondered if anyone
had any ideal what this could be.  Well, last week after discovering a Mast
Tumor under my Aussie Ferret, Ned's right Arm I took both of them in and
had the Vet operated on both of them.  I am happy to report that Ned's Mast
tumor was not cancerous and he is healing nicely, but the Vet did find
something in his blood that showed he could have the signs of the
beginnings of Insulionoma.  He has a mild case of Hypoglycemia, which could
be because of the time between when I fasted him and the time she operated
on him.  Will have to now watch that!  He does love Nutri-cal, as a treat
so now guess that's the end of his special treat!  This is the only treat
he will take except for feretone, which he gets when we trim his nails.

As for Cinnamon Bear, The vet has no ideal what the white spot in the back
of his throat was, when she began to lance it, it popped before she even
started and a white type of paste came out of it.  They tested it and found
nothing??  It could have been an abscess from something he had eaten, or
even maybe he was born with it???

But Cinnamon Bear's blood count does not look good, she wants to do another
blood test in a week or so after he is off of antibiotics.  He has a high
count of Lymphocytes which of course could mean he has Lymphosarcoma.  I
have read all the information that I have gotten off the Internet, including
the information about Gary Holowicki's ferret Timmy.  My first thought is
lets try the natural way!  Herbs!

I just wonder if the people in Washington could please give me names of
Ferret Vets in Washington, I live in Issaquah, and if they have gone
thorough all of this how much does this all cost????  for surgery ect.  It
just cost me $400.00 to have Ned and Cinnamon Bears two operations and that
was a mild operation compared to what could be a head of me.  I am not rich
and not sure how far into Charging I can go!!  So far most vets that I know
of want the money up front, which I can understand!

Also if this is true, I just want to comment on the fact that neither of
these ferrets are from Ferret Farms.  Both are from Breeders and both are
still very young.  Cinnamon Bear is not even two and Ned is just going to
be turning 4 in November.  Both have not been neutered until they were a
lot older, In fact Ned just got Neutered this past year.  Neither have been
descented.  They have been fed the best food, Totally Ferret, Innova, and
Eukanuba, have had natural lights on them at all times.  Have had exercise
everyday out of their cages whenever they are awake.  Under very little
stress, have had ferret friends to play with everyday and sleep with!  No,
I have not feed them lots of treats, the most Cinnamon Bear has had is a
couple of raisins, or cat treats once a week or so.

Would love to hear from anyone that might be able to advise or help me with
the decisions I have to make!

I sure hate hearing about all the ferrets in the shelters in the East.  I
don't think we have the problems here in the West, probably because there
doesn't seem to be that many ferret breeders out here!  We have to have are
ferrets sent to us from the East!  As for some of the comments I hear about
Ed, well, I don't know what to tell you, I have met Ed and I find him a very
interesting and kind person.  I still can't figure the man out thou!LOL As
for all those ferret people in Washington, I still have not seen that many
and don't know of two many ferret people in the Seattle area!  When LOS had
their show this year, there sure was not that many people in attendance, so
I really have my doubts.  Sure wish there was a good ferret club on the
East side of Seattle!  It would be nice to be able to get together and talk
Ferret in person instead of just over the Internet.

Charleen