From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 00:34:08 -0700
>We wanted to become a Not for Profit organization but even though these
>organizations do not make money, they are classed as a business and we
>cannot run a business out of our home.

I'm not sure what the legalities for you are, but here in BC Canada, we
classified ourselves as a FACILITY and not an ORGANIZATION, which would have
not only cost us a lot of money, but would have put our operation on hold
for as long as it took to be approved.

Instead, we do our rescue and club work without informing anybody, as we are
not a non profit *organization* and therefore have nothing to file, be
approved or pay for.  We do keep meticulous records of all the ferrets we
have to fix, get vet help for etc and how much we adopted them out for.
This way, when we do decide to become an offical non profit organization,
with a chair and all, we will have the data to back up how useful our work
is and just how much money we *don't* make.

We did all the advertising through newspapers (all they wanted was a
letterhead), vet's offices and pet supply stores.  We handed out business
cards and we tell people about the club every chance we get.  We have yet to
run into any kind of problem regarding the legality of our "business" and
the SPCA's recognize us as a competent and honest organization and often
call us when they have ferrets in needing homes.

>...We are allowed to have ferrets, as pets, without a restriction on how
>many ferrets we can have so when ever we get a call we still take them.  A
>few months ago we received 3 in one day, from the same family.  We have
>kept every one that we have received.

If you can't run a business, why not put together a club (you don't need any
kind of approval for that) and then when people call you and want to take in
their ferrets, you could simply pass that information on to someone in your
club who is looking for a ferret.  Then all you would be is a keeper of
names for people who want ferrets.  It wouldn't really cost you much of
anything except time.

We vaccninate and alter all ferrets before they leave our shelter, so we do
charge an adoption fee.  It doesn't even pay for the cost of neutering and
shots and feeding and care, so when we get in ferrets that are already
altered, we ususally adopt them out for the same price to make up on lost
money through extra vet bills, food, cages etc.  If you need help, a club
would be a good way to go about finding some...lots of people would probably
be happy to foster ferrets for you, or donate you cages and food.  Thank god
for supportive club members!!

>I have a few questions for nayone who wants to answer.  What is the best
>thing to use for litter pan filler?

I use a recycled paper pellet product that is cheap, absorbent and has no
dust. It's easy to scoop, the ferrets don't like to dig in it as much and it
holds the smell down pretty well (of course, some well placed Glade Plug
In's help too)

>When you take your ferrret places and your not walking her, what is
>a good thing to carry them in?

A small cat carrier.  Bring a water bottle too.

>I want to get my ferret and my roomates bunny to get along, any advise on
>how to do this?

My ferrets hate bunnies, they are scared to death of them.  Bunnies have
quite a kick, I'd be more worried about the ferret than the bunny.  But I've
heard it can be done :)

>What I'd really love would be some kind of tatoo system like the one we
>have for cats' ears...  But I just can't see tatooing a registration
>number inside a ferret's ear.  Wouldn't fit!

I know people who have had their ferrets tattooed on the tummy...it sure
fits there (especially on my fatsos).  I was thinking of having my younger
ones done, but I am nervous about putting them under for any length of time
without a good sound medical reason.  But you could certainly have it done
while you were having your ferret say, fixed!  I can't see the tattoo in my
cat's ear anyway, unless I really dig around in there...and that's a
dangerous process!!

Sheena

Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >