From:
Lou Vega <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 17:20:42 GMT
Hey Dan,
I've been lurking for quite some time now, so my apologies to all for not
posting sooner, but when I saw your question, I thought I might be able to
help.

I'm no expert, but I've owned three fuzzies in my life, and I had one with
fleas.  Granted, I lived in the CA desert at the time and fleas don't
survive there too well - if not at all - but I adopted Miko (fuzzie in
question) from someone in Northern CA, and obviously fleas are a problem
there!

Miko came to me with this problem and I wanted to be on the safe side, as
opposed to waiting the fleas out until the desert took it's toll.  Also, I
didn't want to risk a possible infestation (I didn't know fleas weren't
indigenous until later).

The problem with fleas, is that once your pet has them, that's usually the
end result of a prior infestation somewhere else (if I'm not mistaken).
First you need to use a commercially available product (maybe Rid spray)
that removes them from the bedding, carpet etc.  Anywhere where you might
suspect they might also be.  I would suggest that you contact your vet to
see if the product is ferret safe.

Finally, when all is "fumigated", I took a chance and used another
commercially available flea and tick shampoo for dogs and cats on my Miko,
based on the assumption that if it is safe for dogs and cats, it should be
o.k.  for ferrets.  (I know I'm probably going to get blasted for this).

I used the usual precautions when bathing a ferret (avoid the eyes etc.)
and the problem was solved.

If there are any discrepancies with this or anyone has info to the
contrary, please feel free to let me know - nicely please, you animal
rights activists!  :-)

Best of luck, and hope this helps.
Lou