From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 1994 15:32:38 EST
[I posted this on September 7 and I believe the September 8 version of FML was
swallowed by the universe. If you already read this message, my apologies!!]

I just adopted Ralph the flying ferret over the weekend. Ralph is 5 months old,
a magnificent sable (proud parent here). He has been all over the map in his
short life so far, but doesn't seem any worse for wear--originally from MF
(state #1), sold to a pet store (state #2), given as a gift to someone who
didn't want him (state #3), then in a temporary home (state #4), and finally I
adopted him (back to state #3 again).

I've never had a ferret this young before; of course he is into *everything*
and is raring to go the minute he wakes up. The other day I found Ralph and 2
cats sleeping in a cat carrier all squashed together, so he is right at home.
He is a bit much for Cinderella, but he and Norman are about evenly matched
physically (though Ralph is smarter). He and Norm are gradually becoming
buddies; watching the 2 of them together gives new meaning to the expression
"double trouble." Even though she's half his size, Cinderella does stand up to
Ralph, though I am still keeping all 3 separate when I'm not there. One thing
Ralph does when he gets tired of playing with the other ferrets, is push their
face away with his paw. He also leaps straight up at you when he wants to play;
he is a lot of fun and very sweet and intelligent.

**Re: cats and ferrets [I forget who asked....]: I have a lot of cats, but I
never had a kitten with a ferret. I'd use a bit of caution with a young kitten,
though I'm sure your ferret recognizes the kitten as a potential playmate,
especially since he let the ferret chase him around! Most of my cats try to
ignore the ferrets, though occasionally they will swat at them (and, as
mentioned, I do have 2 who will curl up and sleep with them.) I also found one
of the cats wrestling with Norman the other day, but most of the cats really
don't want to have too much to do with the ferrets. Your guys will probably
work out their own arrangement after a while, but I would definitely keep an
eye on them in the beginning.

Also, someone else mentioned to make sure both the ferret and the cats have a
safe area that the other can't get to (up high for the cats, and in something
for the ferrets). I would put the cat food dishes up high so the fuzzy can't
get to them. (Maybe you'll need another ferret for your ferret to play with??)
Good luck!

--Cinderella, Norm & Ralph's mom