From:
Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:59:09 -0500
Hi Everyone-

Maybe I'm not the most abstract thinker in the world, but I just do not
get why this veterinary group would oppose ferret legalization.  Their
about addressing this note to the AVAR, but to me it seems it would be
falling on closed-minded ears.  But this is what I do get: I am one of the
many people that is directly harmed by the CA ferret ban.  My fiance lives
in California.  My family is from California and about half of them still
live there.  While I would more than readily agree California has many many
other problems besides ferret legalization, living there is still one of my
goals.  But I refuse to move until they've legalized my ferrets.  I *adore*
my ferrets.  I've nursed Saffy through two insulinoma surgeries, an adrenal
surgery, and spent countless nights crying over the thought of losing her.
I lost my sweet Marshmallow to a mystery kidney problem last January, and
even now almost a year later I still tear up at the memory.  I can't tell
you the days and hours I've spent enjoying, loving, petting, and worrying
about my ferrets.  I simply cannot fathom life without them.  Thusly,
living in California is out of the question until this asinine ban is
repealed.  It annoys me to no end that a ban whose only leg to stand on is
one of ignorance and bureaucratic egotism is keeping me from my pursuit of
happiness.  I am never going to breed ferrets.  For a group of bureaucrats
(and from what I read today, a group of veterinarians) to tell me that I
can't live my life where I choose because of something I'll never
participate in is maddening.  I, and many thousands of people in and out
of California are being restricted by that stupid ban.  If the AVAR thinks
that the ferret ban isn't affecting anyone (or affecting the medical care
ferrets do or don't get in California), they're out of their bloody minds.

One more thing: I checked out the AVAR's webpage, and I'm about 95% sure
that one of the board of directors practices where I live.  It's so
comforting that someone who belongs to a group that perpetuates that kind
of idiocy actually lives near me.  *sigh*

Sorry for the long rant folks.

Laura Ellis