From:
Amy Evers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:25:24 -0700
This is just my opinion based on my own somewhat limited (just 1 Fert)
experience.  I think that *most* ferrets if given the right opportunity
would go through some of the motions of hunting, without actually being a
"hunter".  Maybe it's kind of a residual instinct.  Katie has had several
opportunities (accidentally) where she could have killed some of my Mom's
baby birds.  (lovebirds & cockatiels) In each of three cases she went right
after the birds and managed to grab hold of a wing tip, feathers only, but
then acted like she had no idea what she'd gotten herself into.  She put up
no resistance to having the birds taken away from her, and happily wardanced
across the room once they were rescued.  But, if loose in the wild, I'm sure
she would quickly starve.  Although the "pursue and grab" urge is there, I
think the "what to do with it once you catch it" instructions got erased at
some point.

Ferrets -vs- Rodents: How do you explain the difference to those not so
bright people who think Ferrets ARE rodents?  Start with the teeth....
Ferrets have FANGS at the corners like dogs & cats.  Rodents have those big
front incisors like "buck teeth".  End with poop!  Ferrets don't make little
mouse or rat turds, they make a miniature "doggy-type" poop.  Therefore,
Ferrets are more closely related to dogs and cats (carnivores) than to
rodents!  (DISCLAIMER!!!: this was meant to be entertaining, not
scientific!  ; )

TNT, Keep on Dookin'!!

Amy & Katie
"Here's Dookin' at you Kit!"