From:
"Cam, Simon and Alpine McIntosh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:23:00 EST
[Moderator's note: This one just squeezes through since it is at least in
some way related to ferrets.  Other posts which were simply pro or con the
use of animals is research were rejected per the FML guidelines.  We have
to be careful to stay on topic here -- it's *really* easy to get into an
endless debate about animal rights and research, and while those are
important topics, this just isn't the list for it.  BIG]

>From: Melinda Wood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Products
>I have learned that Marshall a supplier of ferret products and ferrets
>sells its ferrets to laboratories.  This is outrageous!!!!

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, so please feel free.....

I don't like to see an animal suffer.  It is awful just to think about.  But
how do you think they got the results for this wonderful new CDC Compendium?
They had to prove that the rabies vaccine worked, and that could only be
done by giving the vaccine to many ferrets and then infecting them with
rabies.  I imagine there was a control group, who didn't receive the vaccine
and were infected with rabies, too.  How do you think the research is being
done on the ECE virus?  What do you think everyone was doing when ECE broke
out and we didn't know how to treat it at first?  We tested things, and
tried things and after much trial and error and many deaths, we found a
pretty decent treatment plan.  How do you think wonderful things like
insulin, heart meds and other life saving procedures were developed and
tested?  Please think about this next time you go to your doctor.  Chances
are, anything you get from him/her has been tested on animals before they
tested on humans.

This is one of those things I just feel strongly about.  I agree we should
find alternate methods, but often there is no choice.  Suffering during
testing needs to be kept to a minimum, but I would never support stopping
necessary testing.  I, personally, am alive due to both animal and the awful
human medical tests conducted during World War II.  And while yes, I would
love to go back and have no one in the concentration camps suffer, I can't.
So I take the gift of life it has given me (I have asthma, diabetes and
rheumatoid arthritis) and make what I do now worthwhile.  And I often think
of those who have suffered and breathe a silent prayer of thanks for the
information they provided.  And I will continue to do so.  It makes me feel
better to recognize the sacrifice.  Please don't be offended by what I just
wrote, it is a matter of persona opinion.

Blessings....Cam McIntosh