From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 1994 10:29:33 -0700
With the summer weather getting hotter so are the fleas getting peskier.
Al has been getting citrus baths which I suppose help some but then he
gets re-exposed almost immediately so relief is short lived.  My
daughter has been trying to come up with ways to minimize flea contact
without exposing Al directly to sprays and powders which might be toxic
to him.  For reasons I won't go into we can't do much about the lawn
area where he spends most of his outside time so she has been looking at
what can be done inside his cage.

At one time she used cedar chips as bedding but stopped when she read
that this might be harmful to ferrets.  Are there any effective
alternatives to cedar?  She was thinking about Redwood shavings or bark
chips.  Is Redwood safe for ferrets?  Would Redwood reduce or eliminate
fleas inside Al's cage?  Any other suggestions?

As to a ferret mailing list vs a newsgroup, DON'T even consider a
newsgroup unless you don't mind being invaded by flame baiters and just
plain weirdos; well, weirder than us anyway.  Even newsgroups that were
relatively sane a couple years ago have become almost unreadable.  I
don't even bother anymore for the most part.  Besides how would us
computer non sophisticate anonymous types post message?

Thanks,

cobra