From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 08:02:54 -0400
Hello

BLADDER STONES- QUESTION
I am writing on behalf of a friend who does not have internet access.  His
ferret (3 yo, otherwise healthy male) recently developed a blockage of the
urethra due to bladder stones.  A very good local veterinarian was able to
diagnose the problem, clear the urethra, and express the bladder, but the
blockage recurred almost immediately.  The same veterinarian has now
recommended a urethostomy (sp?).  If I recall correctly this is a surgical
procedure whereby the veterinarian reconstructs the urethra to bypass it's
natural course.

I know that I have read of other ferrets who have had bladder stones and/or
who have successfully undergone this procedure.  I would greatly appreciate
input, suggestions, advice, and information from anyone whose ferrets have
had bladder stones and/or a urethostomy.

Thanks muchly,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/2040
Paleface (Bean), the Sage Ferret and
"The Boys": Gunnar the Red (Goose), Daniel Spikey Tiger (Spikey), Beau Geste
(Boseph)