From:
Katie Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 15:39:01 -0600
The whole thing of introducing a new ferret to an old one has all of
the same characteristics of introducing a new child to the household
in the case of humans.

I just went through this about 3 months ago.  That is when I got
George, a 6 week old light sable.  When I brought him home, my 1.5
year old, Ian, hated it and me.  For almost 2 weeks he wouldn't let me
pick him up and just beat the tar out of the baby.  I mean Ian put the
baby death gip on George and tried to drag him into a cornor to chew
his head off.  I was a bit concerned, but my George has a temper and
got pissed.  He just started attacking Ian and that sort of set up the
whole relationship.

It still is rocky.  Ian was an only ferret for almost a year.
He got use to playing with us and being alone.  He developed a pattern
of sleeping a lot and being totally crazed when he was out to play.
Then here comes George.  Ian still has problems.  I can't keep them in
the same cage.  first George just sits and chews on Ian's head while
Ian is trying to sleep.  So George gets kick-out of bed and ends up
sleeping in the litter box.  There is also the stocking cap.  Ian
loves to sleep in a knit hat.  I took him a bit to figure out how to
get into the sucker, but now it has to be there or he gets mad.  Well
George is NOT allowed to be in that hat.  He gets pushed out every
time.  One of these days I hope to have them move in together, but I
am not halding my breath.

It is not to say that they don't get along!  They love to plsay and
Ian is so much happier now.  Ian is just possessive of his stuff.  It
is just a matter of taking it slow.  Let them both out to play alone
and let them play together, monitored in this case.  What also
works...if they both hate baths, stick them in the tub together.  It
is sort of a ferret bonding experience of hating something together.

Sorry this got a bit lengthy, but it might help.  Classes in child
psychology probably won't hurt.  George and Ian remind me of human
kids all the time.
--
Katie [log in to unmask]
Technology Information Coordinator/Lecturer

"'They do not die for us.  Not for us.  That at least is a blessing.'
He [Robert E. Lee] spoke staring at the fire. 'Each man has his own
reason to die.  But if they go on, I will go on.....If war goes
on-and it will, it will-what else can we do but go on?...And does it
matter after all who wins?  Was that ever really the question?  Will
God ask that question in the end?'"
                                -"The Killer Angels"
                                        Micheal Shaara