Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:39:19 -0600
re: ferrets that get even with you

My sweetie Fang (the woodstove monster ferret) used to dig in my fake
Fiscus tree and scatter the packing everywhere; When I caught him in the
act, I held him gently by the scruff with one hand, supported his little
bitty butt with the other, held him just inches away from my meanest face
look, looked him in the eyes, and said in my gruffest voice, "NO, NO, NO!
Bad Fang!" (it was very hard to do this, as I have never once felt genuine
anger towards him).  Then I would set him down, only to have him lope
around the room, charging at my ankle every other loop (didn't bite, but
it was the threat that he could do it if he wanted).  It was all I could
do to keep from laughing, as I felt it was important that he knew I meant
business!  A little while later, I would find a big poop in the middle of
the carpet...just for me, as he never did this at any other time.  BTW, it
only took three times using this form of discipline, and he never dug in my
tree again, and it's been four years!

Again, I am blessed to be a new FML subscriber, and I learn from you all
every day!  I feel your sadness, and your joy, and wish you all more of the
latter...Bless your hearts and your babies',

lizzi