From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:58:52 -0500
I've heard of ferrets having problems with giardia (from what I know
giardia is present in contaminated water).  I was wondering how common that
is.  My twosome are going with me to visit my family in Seattle on Monday,
and we'll be there almost a month.  I'm taking their familiar blankies and
hammocks, food dish, food and toys of course, but of course I can't take
the water.  They're on city water here, but my mother's water supply comes
from a well.  Would it be best to start them with bottled water, and slowly
add the well water to change them over, or would just sticking to bottled
water the whole time be the best thing?  The water at my mother's house is
perfectly safe, a new well was recently dug and the water was subjected to
the full battery of tests and cleared by the health department.  My family
usually keep drinking water in a water filter pitcher in the fridge as well.

I've seen the arguments of people who only give their ferrets bottled
water.  I don't quite see the reason for that unless you know that there
is a high mineral or flouride concentration in your tap water.  Our water
has always been fine, in fact both ferrets came from homes/shelters in
different cities and they didn't have any problems adjusting to our water.
The only reason I was curious about it, was because of the well water
situation.

I'd be interested to see what anyone thought about this.

Robynn
Gargoyle (water is just for dunking your nose in anyway!) and
Morticia (I don't care what you do with it, as long as it's not for a bath!)
http://www.psynet.net/gothferrets