From:
Ken Nyren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:09:01 -0500
On October 31st Darrin Fuller, in response to getting rid of cockroaches,
wrote in part "Now for my favorite, blow them to smithereens.  Mix
together 2 cups (500g) of cold mashed potato and 1 tablespoon of baking
powder and then form into balls the size of marbles.  Place 2 to 3 balls
where cockroaches gather, leaving a few balls around for future
generations.  Keep renewing until left untouched.  This bait reacts with
the insects' body health and blows them apart."

Has anyone tried this?  Does it work?  It sounds kinda crazy, but you
never know?  Having grown up in very rural Wisconsin I didn't have my
first experience with cockroaches until I moved to Savannah Ga.  It was
the second night in the new place when the cat caught the first one and
brought it to me in the bed.  The next day I asked the receptionist at
work what to do for cockroaches.  Her advice was empty all the cupboards
and cabinets and clean everything with bleach and water until it was
totally spotless.  Then clean the counters and every crevasse I could
find with the same bleach solution.  I asked and that will get rid of
the cockroaches?  She said of course not but you will have the cleanest
cockroaches on the block.  (she had a nice little laugh at the new
Yankee's expense)

She did give some good advice after that though.  She told me to use
plastic airtight containers for and food items and keep the crumbs
cleaned up as much as possible.  That is what I have been doing for years
and I don't kid myself into believing that I don't have any cockroaches
but, with food sources not readily available the number is not that high.
I usually only see a few each year.

The potato balls do sound interesting though.  I always like to be a good
host.

Ken Nyren

Ken Nyren, 2/11/2004