From:
"D.A.Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 14:43:24 -0700
Hi, Just wanted to write a note about rabbits and Ferrets.  Well I have both
although the rabbits live free in my backyard under a huge gazebo.  It
wasn't always like this however, I had Scooter and Buns - bet you can guess
which is which - in the house together.  Buns lived in a sectioned off part
of the kitchen - not exactly in a 4x6 cage but sort of except for no top.
Scooter would love to lay on the floor of the kitchen in front of the wire
fence and wag his tail fast and furious.  The weird thing is though he would
wag it side to side- not up and down like a dog.  He would get so excited I
think that he thought he was the big hunter.  Scooter had his chance a few
times when he managed to get in the area with old Buns.  Buns however would
just look at Scooter and then stomp him.  After a few rabbit whacks Scooter
would come running out.  But was soon back staring at Buns from the outside.
This went on for years - I think they both enjoyed it.  Buns finally died of
old age but he was a trooper and I have several of his offspring to prove
it.  Anyway I think Scooter misses him and he still looks into that area of
the kitchen longingly.  But the enclosure is down and all he can do is
remember his pal.  I guess this example shows how unsuited a domesticated
ferret is for the wild when even my domesticated rabbit could intimidate
him.  Scooter is still around and a crazy boy.  He is over 8 years old now
and still in great shape.  He has had minor illnesses (flu) but has gotten
over each and rallied around.  I keep him away from rabbits though as he
isn't as fast as he once was and I would hate him to get hurt.  Another note-
he has another trick with his tail -when I scratch his back his tail puffs
up like a fat catepillar.  I can always tell when I scratch the right spot!

Bye for now,
Scooter, Hershey, Fritz and Me