From:
LMdeAngury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 13:41:40 EST
Please forgive my seeming rudeness for not immediately introducing myself
or my ferrets at this time, but I have a very sick Ferretgirl and would be
grateful for some information from anyone that may be able to help.

First, I have been unable to send email to Dr. Bruce Williams at either of
the email addresses that I have used in the past.  If anyone has a current
email address for him would you please send it to me via email rather than
post it on the list.  He was very helpful to me with a previous sick ferret,
and I need his counsel once again.

And secondly, but most importantly, I have a 2+ yr old female albino that
came to me last Aug. 97 as a stray (a gift from my dog-another story).  She
is without tattoes of any kind.  Except for an initial bout of vomiting and
diarrhea right after she came to me, she has been healthy -- up until this
morning.  When I went to clean out her litter pan and feed her this morning,
I found the bottom of her cage bloodied and saw her backend and legs
sticking out of her bedding area, also bloodied.  I wrapped her in a towel
and immediately took her to my regular vet, who is but 5 min. away.  My
vets are admittedly not well-schooled in ferrets, though do treat some in
their practice, and one of their staff has five of her own.  They have been
doing research on them, and have been quite receptive to any information I
have taken to them from my own research on the internet.  I have not been
able to find a ferret-wise vet anywhere near where I live, yet.

After an examination, he determined that the blood was from bloody diarrhea
(with a lot of mucous), her temp 100.4.  He gave her 20cc sub-q fluids, and
prescribed 2ml of amoxy twice a day.  Said to return in the morning if there
was no change.  He mentioned the possibility of proliferative colitis, or a
bowel obstruction.

I am 2 hrs from the NC Vet School, which I have used for one of my other
ferrets, and I will certainly use them again if she worsens or does not
improve by tomorrow, but I would like to go armed with as much information
as possible.  If there is anyone that has experienced similar symptoms in a
seemingly healthy ferret, and has had a diagnosis, I would be grateful for
any information that you can give me about your own experience.

I currently get the email list as a digest(changing that today), so I would
be grateful if you have any information or advice, please send it directly
to me.

Again, I apologize for my lack of introduction at this time, and promise to
follow-up with one as soon as I get Ferretgirl well.

Thank you
Lily