From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 17:37:33 EDT
Combine:

one high speed pool filter system with over size leaf trap..

one automatic timer malfunction..

6 water loving pool sharks in ferret disguises

Mix well...

and you have 6 fuzzys with cuts, bruises, broken bones, and enough water in
their lungs to relieve a major drout.

Meet:

Peter, Paul, and Mary..
       and
Manny, Moe and Jack

welcome to my 'wake up call' for this morning...

Beeper goes off, return call is immediately answered, before the first ring
stopped, I managed to extract an address from a hysterically sobbing man...
and practically flew to a home in a very wealthy neighbourhood fairly
nearby..  the Vet they use told them to call me [that was a shock to be
sure] as I was closer and better equipped to handle field trauma than the
vet was..  and time was critical!

I was greeted by an incoherent woman half way up the driveway who was
running up and down watching for me to pull in..

she pointed at the back of the house and took off at a dead run around the
side driveway to show me the way..  I just knew I was going to have a human
patient at any moment as this lady was in no condition, much less youthful
enough to be abusing her body in that mad dash up a steep drive way in shoes
suitable for an elegant carpeted office and nothing else..

I was snatched out of the jeep by a very large man running on pure
adrenaline and dragged bodily, large emergency med.  unit and all, thru a
pool gate and into a gorgeous pool yard elaborately furnished with every
fuzzy play device ever invented..

At the edge of a large square hole in the pool decking crouched a white
faced young man who appeared to be in shock..

I was immediately sickened when I got my first look into that filter trap..
there was a roiling mass of screaming, bleeding, choking, vomiting, gasping
fur...

AT that point a calm voice intruded the only note of sanity into a scene
from a nightmare..  it simply asked : 'What do you need?'

I started listing items in a rapid fire stream and opened the med unit and
got to work...

in no time the things I had listed were piled neatly next to me and every
time I asked for something or gave instructions for something to be done it
was immediately attended to..  without another word being said..

I removed six mangled fur kids from that trap and after over an hour I
finally was pretty sure they were going to able to make it into the
infirmary alive..  Each one was gently lowered into a laundry basket padded
with elegant expensive linnens and after they were loaded into the jeep I
finally took the time to look at the silent assistant I had been working
with all that time..

The elegantly dressed and handsome young man patiently waiting to hand me my
meds case was standing peacefully at the rear of the jeep..  I held out my
hand and introduced myself and began to thank him for all his quiet,
competent, and swift help with the little ones..  it was only after he
didn't change expression or return my offer of a hand shake that it dawned
on me his sunglasses weren't to cut the glare of the bight morning sun..  He
was blind...

After recovering my composure I withdrew the hand he couldn't see and gave
him a hug instead and thanked him again for his help in treating the 6
fuzzys fast enough to save their lives..

His only reply was a softly asked 'Call me when you know, OK??' and he
turned and walked back through the gate into the yard that surrounded the
pool..

The little ones are stable and the medical work is finished and they are
sleeping now... and I am still trying to get my emotions in order..

I just called him and told him they were going to be all right and were
resting comfortably..  The only reply was 'Thank You for helping my fuzzys..
' and with a click on the line he was gone..

I never had the chance to tell him that without his gentle, calm, and
efficient response to every single need I had out on that pool deck, those
six little accident victims wouldn't have had a chance...

In this case the blind saw far more clearly than the sighted.  I am
privileged to have met this incredible person..  And these 6 fur kids
couldn't have a better Daddy..

I look forward to the day I take these kids back to be reunited with this
remarkable young man....

Peace.....   dayna and the Woozles  :]

 "Resident of... Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem"
 dayna frazier  102046,3162  03-Oct-1996  14:21:33 PST