From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:26:32 -0700
I recently dealt with a man who was devastated that he would have to
give up his ferret because he was getting rashes. I took the ferret
home in HIS carrier, and only then smelled the towel in it which
smelled of cedar. Called him, and he didn't use cedar. But he did let
his ferret play with a neighbor's group of six who have a SuperPet cage
with the bottom tray filled with cedar shavings. Two no-no's! I had him
look up cedar toxicity, a link from the TRIFL page. Soon the cedar was
gone, his ferret and everything washed in scent-free detergent and he
is able to keep his little friends. Now to get the other guy to take
care of the ear mites. He's ascummy type.

I've also had some who are allergic to scented cat litter that is
unfortunately used by some, or laundry products that are scented./ Look
for the white bottles or green labels. Even Tide has put out a scent
and dye free product now.

Don't get me started on air fresheners. I use wood pellets. They take
care of the odors in the ferrets pans.

Carol J.Owens
Ferret Friends, Inc.
Tucson AZ