From:
Julie Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:32:56 EST
>From:   Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
>
>You might check out Liberty Mutual.

I have clipped Dick's reply here, just to say... YES!  Liberty Mutual
(Who owns Peerless Insurance) is a great company, and one we write with
daily.  I like them a lot.

I've gotten several emails regarding this, and I'd like to summarize my
response.

First, to Heather, Sheepdogs are on the most wanted list.  As in, the
insurance companies WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THEM, and more dogs like them ;-)

I agree that putting a bunch of animals in one big category and
prohibiting th em is not fair, but look at it from the insurance
companies view.  They simply CANNOT deal with every application on a
case by case basis.  Therefor, they have to do it this way.  Look at it
in terms of cars.  Vetts get driven faster than Chevette's, that's a
fact.  They are more likely to get a speeding ticket or accident.  They
are rated as "Performance" vehicles.  This relates to animals in that
the company looks at what breed has caused the most harm and puts them
in a category.  This is the only plausible way for them to deal with the
issue without raising rates (it takes time and manpower to look at every
application and say "Oh, that dog is nice... that one isn't", that costs
them $ and you $)

As for being denied for coverage based on owning a ferret.... well, I
talked to one of our underwriters today about that.  She's a sweetheart
and was appalled that some one had been cancelled or denied because of
them.  AND!  Let me just state that she has NEVER SEEN ONE.  If this is
a problem for someone, I would highly suggest that you do as Dick did
and educate these people.  They are more than receptive to this.  They
actually WANT your business!  But in today's world of lawsuits, they have
to be careful.

I'd also like to state that yes, indeed, your past history plays a HUGE
part.  Home Insurance is NOT meant to cover every little detail in life.
It is meant to "indemnify" meaning to "return you back financially to
where you were before the loss" It protects you from major financial
loss.  If your roof leaks due to ice, it will fix it.  If it burns, it
will fix it.  If your roof leaks because it's old, they'll tell you to
call your bank then call a contractor.  It is simply NOT meant to cover
things like animal bites.  However, due to the wording of liability
insurance (included in your home insurance) they have to cover animal
bites.

I hope this clarifies a little bit the questions I've been asked, and
remind you all that there IS something you can do.  If your agent doesn't
help, call the company directly!  Ask to speak to an underwriter, they'll
listen :)

Jules