From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 20:48:27 EDT
>I received a Rabies Certification from my vet for our two ferrets (so they
>could go camping with us in the state parks) and found that it says that
>the serum was a Killed Virus by (producer) Merial

IMRAB-3 is a killed virus rabies vaccine produced by Merial.  It is the
only rabies vaccine accepted by the USDA for use in ferrets.  Merial does
make others, however, so you should call your vet to make sure that it was
IMRAB-3 that he used, then ask that he add that to the certificate, just in
case.

>My ferret has had diarrhea for 10 days

That's a long time for a small animal like a ferret.  All diarrhea in
ferrets needs to be treated aggressively.  If you absolutely can't afford
a vet, even one who will take payments, start treating the diarrhea
symptomatically.  Get the diarrhea stopped ASAP.  Start with about 1/3 cc
of Pepto Bismal every 4 hours.  If the diarrhea doesn't stop in 12 hours,
add 1/3 cc of Kaopectate to the treatment.  You can go up to 1 cc of the
Kaopectate if you have to, but get the diarrhea stopped.

The biggest danger is dehydration.  Get some pedialyte and make sure that
the ferret is getting at least 100 cc of it or other liquid (water) a day.
Use an eyedropper or needleless syringe to dribble some of it in the corner
of his mouth every two hours if you have too.  Scruff the ferret behind the
neck.  If the scruff doesn't snap right back in place, get the ferret to a
vet ASAP, no matter what.

>She then went onto tell me they had a ferret on their books, displaying
>similar symptoms and had been diagnosed with Cushings disease.

Very unusual.  Cushings in ferrets is so rare as to be almost unheard of.
They do get adrenal tumors that result in an increase of other hormones.
That is often seen as balding at the flanks and/or shoulders and tops of
the feet.  The skin is often dry and thin and itches.  A ferret can scratch
it to the point where it gets sore.  The sore could be a mast cell tumor,
or an infected insect or spider bite.  Are there more knowledgeable ferret
vets near you?

>My ferret, Bandit, has had seedy poop for quite a while now.

Seedy poop is the too rapid passage of food through the gut.  Could be due
to bacteria, parasites, virus, allergies; lots of things.  Has your vet
tested for coccidia or giardia?  In some cases we've had good luck with
soothing an irritated bowel by using Carafate (human ulcer medication in
pill form which you can grind up to a fine powder and mix with water).
Ask your vet what he thinks about that possibility.  It's a very benign
medication, binding to any ulcerated tissue and passing on if it doesn't
encounter any.

>>insulinoma<<

First look at the Duck Soup recipe to make sure that it doesn't have any
sugar or "ose" ending ingredients in it.  Cut out the treats with sugar
(even Cheerios have sugar added).  The sugar will send the ferret into
sugar highs followed by crashes as the insulin is overproduced to
metabolize the added sugar.  Try adding Brewers Yeast and heavy whipping
cream (not whipped cream) to his diet until you can get to the vet.  If the
ferret isn't too old, he may benefit from a partial removal of the pancreas
(the tumors and about 1/3 of the section of the pancreas that contained the
tumors.  No food for at least 12 hours afterward.  Best performed by a vet
who knows that procedure well.

The tooth grinding may be from nausea from the low blood sugar episodes.

>> Advantage for ferrets<<

We use Frontline, but I know of many who do use Advantage and swear by it.
Frontline has the advantage of killing tics too.  Neither are specifically
recommended by their manufactures for ferrets so it is off-use.  In other
words, use at your own risk.

Dick B.  -- not a vet
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter