From:
Pollitt's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 15:22:38 -0400
Hey Eveyone,

I just read the last few FML's dealing with ferrets as FAD pets, but I
really got mad after reading about the teenage ferret owner stereotype.
I introduced my family to ferrets when I was twelve years old, and got one
of my own.  It was exclusively my pet and my responsibility.  It lived in
MY room, took baths in MY sink, got its laundry washed with MY clothes,
and was constantly under MY personal supervision.  In fact, he still is
constantly under MY supervision.  Later I got ANOTHER ferret, who I litter
trained, and cared for as a baby and she is still under MY SUPERVISION.
Then I took on ANOTHER girl, who is still in my care as well.  I bought a
bigger cage and an extra litter pan, which I dismantle and clean top to
bottom once a week; everything needed is paid for by ME, including vet
visits.  All of this is not to mention the two ferrets that live at my
mom's house.  Even though they are not with me 24/7, I clean their cage,
bathe, feed, and supervise them when I am there.  Every day I scoop the
pans, spray down the cage, feed, and let my ferrets out to play for a
good amount of time.  Doing this (and caring for the family pets), I
still manage to maintain a 4.0 average in school and participate in extra
curricular activities.  Now acting as if all teens are trend following
irresponsible kids is degrading to me and all of the other responsible
adolescent pet owners in the world.  I'm fifteen now, and I do plan to
move out of the house once I am eighteen and pursue veterinary medicine,
hopefully to specialize in ferrets and exotics.  No matter what the
outcome, I will always own ferrets.  All I am saying is don't think we
are all alike.  We're not.  We all have different things to add to this
world, different strengths and different weaknesses.  Sure there are some
irresponsible teens who I wouldn't trust with anything, especially another
creature's life.  On the other hand, there are some adults that I wouldn't
trust either.  Don't classify us all as the same, and we won't do it to you.

Erin and the Wired Weasels
Rocki, Snickers, Vir, Zeus, and Saucey
http://www.maxpages.com/ferretz