From:
Robmary June <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:28:24 -0800
Help!

Here's the story, it's a bit on the long side, I'll make it as brief as
possible.  First the problem - recurring diarrhea that doesn't seem to be
ECE.  We picked up a male last week "Strider" who had been through some bit
of hell and back.  At the age of four he and his cage mate had been left at
a pet store where they had been bought as kits.  A *bird* store.  Strider's
cage mate made it out, but unfortunately the lady could only take one at
the time, though she wanted him too.  A month later Stryder was taken by
a lady with ferrets.  Both Stryder and his cage mate had come in with non
specific sores on their necks and heads (ther were other pets in the
original home).  He got horrible diarrhea and terribly depressed and was
taken to the vet on the suspicion of ECE.  No ECE apparently, looked like
it was stress related.  Blood tests were done and he has very high white
blood cell and lyphocyte counts (I think it was lymphocyte).  Doc says it's
a *very* high possiblity of lymphoma, but not positive unless surgically
confirmed.  Also, the sores were scraped and tested for bacteria - none.
At the vet he was very low energy and didn't know how long he would last
without treatment.

The lady decided she couldn't afford a ferret that was this sick and
returned him to the store.  At which point I couldn't handle it anymore and
my husband and I took him.  Yep, nasty diarrhea - but no big smell that
I've been told comes with ECE.  He wasn't interested in eating or drinking
anything, but we got a bit of ground up ferret food down him.  He started
eating the regular food like a horse within 2 days.  Soon, his poop is
still a little grainy, but more formed and no longer green.

(For all of this crap you'd think he'd be darn grumpy, he's a doll.  We
named him Strider because he's so fast you don't see him move if you
blink.)

Now, the day after I got him, I got the flu.  Four days later, my 6 year
old male (we started with 1 male and 3 females) is showing flu-like
symptoms, low energy, nasty diarrhea, no interest in food.  I get him
eating somewhat, he drinks a bit, and 2 days later his poop's getting
firmer.  Now 2 of my females have diarrhea, but normal energy levels.
Stryder's diarrhea came back and went again, and now my older male has
diarrhea again.  What is up?  Could this be the plain old flu?  Could
Strider have caught something from the birds at the pet shop?  Is there a
super mild form of ECE?  My older male is getting really peeved.  I've
tried baby food, and can't get enough down him.  I've tried mixing it
with ground up, mushy ferret food, ferretone, Furovite... Everybody seems
happy to eat regular kibble, but is that making the diarrhea come back?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!  They *are* going to the vet today, but I thought
I'd ask for anyone's two cents worth anyway.

If this needs to be broken up because of it's length, please do so!

Mary
Furmommy to Spawn, Freya, Artemis, Trinity and zoooooooooooooom - Strider!