From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 12:39:36 -0400
We sadly said goodbye this weekend to Rocky "Rocketman" FerretWise, a long
time resident at Ferret Wise Shelter.  Rocky at age 6 was the youngest
adrenal patient and had grown a full coat back on lupron.  He was overtaken
by a rapid UTI conditon and complete obstruction.  The local vet is away
on vacation we called around found room for him with Doc Messenger in
Concord -- our shelter angel of a hospice Mom Judy rushed to pick him up
for the 1 hr 45 min trip over to the hospital as shelter Mom's arms are not
able to drive the distance due to injury.  Unfortunately by the time Rocky
got there he was in trouble - after aspirating 20 cc's of infected urine,
administering Antibiotics and inflammatory's -- our precious Rocky slipped
away.  We are sure he went along to Keep Angus company-- they both spent so
much time together here-- but he leaves behind a grieving cage mate in Bear
FerretWise-- who survives his group alone after losing Pewt, Gwen, Belle,
Popeye, Strider and now Rocky in a short 19 month time period.

For those unfamiliar with the story-- Bear welcomed Rocky to FerretWise
Shelter more than 4 years ago.  Rocky was dropped off by a professional
family - they didn't like him because he poo'ed on the rug.  He had been
confined to his cage for months-- was obesely fat and so depressed you
could see tears rolling from his eyes.  He would not exit his cage-- he
laid there-- sad, eating and sleeping-- so Bear entered Rocky' cage and
laid right beside him placing his left front leg across the shoulder.
( What I would give to have had a camera)  He stayed with Rocky for 2
solid days and finally encouraged him out of the cage.  To make a long
story short-- they became fast friends and it was only with Bear's
support Rocky finally learned to play and dance.

Rocky was the ferret whom Bear was depending on in his time of illness
as we struggle to help him with inoperable cancer.  Currently he is on
antibiotics for recurring infection, and last night spiked a fever, he
appears better today - though ever so lonely.

We know Rocky is in a better place, we will however,miss his chipper and
loving way.  We ask that you send kind thoughts and prayers for his best
friend Bear who is now left alone in his time of illness....

Rex - seems to be hanging in there pretty well after the loss of Angus last
week- we are so thankful for his resilience.  He gets his own special times
with shelter Mom- special cuddles, hugs and treats of nutrical several
times a day..  and so far we see him settling in with his younger shelter
group.

Sterling?  - well he sure is skinny- but not giving up just yet!

There are new ebay items this week to help our programs for those who are
interested:

Purple ferret bath towel w/ appliqued ferrets!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399078583

Lilac / turquoise calico top opening ferret sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=401844109

Summer bouquet design top ferret sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=401844109

Frog Fairy design top ferret sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399718241

Seascape adventure deluxe top sleeper
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=399718241

We appreciate the many friends who have corresponded with us on the loss of
the ferrets, your support helps us to continue.  We hope we will have lots
of cheery news for the Ferretstock event September 9th -- please if you
want event information email us at the above listed address.