From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:22:27 -0400
Thanks to all who shared info. with me concerning the distemper virus
and vaccines.

To answer Renee, BART! was given Ferravac D. The only previous vacc.
was a "MF baby booster?" . The vaccine causing the rx. was given about
8months ago. I have had 2 other ferrets with no reactions (F-Man and
Loki) both given Purevax D. I know there are NUMEROUS factors which
would determine an allergic rx., but I seem to have heard of move
involving Ferravac. I don't think I would chance another vaccination,
but I will have titers drawn. My guys enjoy the great outdoors on a
regular basis, often in the deep woods. I am concerned about exposure
in the wild, but more so in my own front yard and neighborhood park.
No problems with the rabies vaccinations. I get the rabies vacc. done
at a well pet clinic ( MUCH less cost) and they are pretreated with
Benedryl. The well pet clinics won't even give distemper vacc. to
ferrets due to the high rate of rx. (they suggest this done at regular
vet. office). Also, the rabies vacc. is now rated for 3yrs for ferrets.

Lesley