From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:38:05 -0400
Shirley wrote:

>Aww.  It even LOOKS a bit like a ferret.
>
>http://www.bird.net.au/bird/index.php?title=Spot-tailed_Quoll

Perfect body for the niche it exploits... ( evidence of Parallel
Evolution in some ways and shared generalism in some features, too)

That's ALSO why meerkats and mongooses look so much like ferrets even
though they are not closely related: Parallel Evolution which suited
them to similar niches.

Mongooses and Meerkats are Viverrids, a portion of Carnivora which is
descended from the cat branch.

Ferrets are Mustelids. Mustelids and Procyonids (racoons, coatis,
kinkajous, etc.) are probably the last two segments to split off from
the dog branch. (I haven't read the latest on the red "panda" Ailurus
and although I know I read some things last year or the year before I
don't recall specifics though I think they were thought to be a sister
species to Musteloidea, and that Musteloidea later split into the
Mustelids and Procyonids. I smiling now figuring that some folks here
may be hitting the net for the joy of it. I suggest PubMed be included
in your fun. Have a grand time! Those who haven't tried net surfing to
follow their questions yet are really
missing out.)

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address: