From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 06:26:24 -0500
I just want to add to what Rochelle Newman said about dog food - she's
right that there is not enough nutrition in dog food for ferrets -
while there is nothing in dog food that is really harmful to ferrets,
eating a complete diet of dog food will eventually kill a ferret -
this is from Dr Judi Bell - Marshall Farms.

Something is missing in dog food that ferrets need - and a straight
diet of dog food can cause health problems in a relatively short period
of time.  The essential ingredients are present in cat food however,
so that's no problem.

I'm sorry that I don't know right now what those ingredients are, but
ferrets should not be fed dog food on a regular basis.

Now, eating a kibble here and there is not going to be harmful - my
own ferrets steal pieces of food from the dogs while they are eating
(I have such good dogs - they don't snap at the ferrets when they do this!)
But eating a couple of kibbles a day is not the same as a complete diet
of dog food, so please be aware.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY