From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 07:27:27 -0400
Ariel's post about Baxter thinking the supersoaker water gun is now a new
toy made me laugh.  Why do we humans think we can stay a step ahead of our
ferrets?  They must laugh at our attempts ... Anyway, Ariel, you said with
the other ferrets the supersoaker works, "making those carpet-diggers jump
like crazy, and then gives them something to do (clean their fur) instead
of scratching at my doors." Well, even though Baxter likes the supersoaker,
you've actually succeeded in what you set out to do: he's not bothering the
carpet when he's getting a drink from the supersoaker.  However, I'm sure it
won't take him long to figure out that all he has to do to get a drink from
the supersoaker is to run over and dig at the carpet.......back to the
problem!

As long as we're on the subject of carpet digging, does anyone have any real
success stories they'd like to share on the FML?  Mine recently developed a
fixation on the carpet at a bedroom door, and in no time flat he ruined one
corner.  I tried duct taping a piece of cardboard over the ruined carpet,
but that took him all of ten minutes to pull off!!  Next, I placed a towel
through the door, weighing it down from the inside with a can of paint, and
placed a heavy box on the outside of the door.  He simply moved to the other
corner and has now fairly ruined that spot.  I've placed the vacuum cleaner
(etc.  etc.) over the remaining opening, hoping to make it "impossible" to
reach any of the carpet for futher digging, and he still manages to get
through.  Not only is this making a mess of the carpet, but it's TOTALLY
inconvenient to get in and out of that bedroom.  I've seen other suggestions
for prevention of carpet digging (chicken wire, wire mesh, etc.) but
honestly don't think that would deter him or "save" the carpet.  Any success
stories?  Any suggestions???  Has anyone actually given up on carpet because
of ferrets and replaced the carpet with linoleum??????  I need any help
anyone can offer.