From:
Brandy Jean Ashmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:53:18 -0500
O.K.  This may sound strange, but this is something I have never read about,
or experienced.  Tusk is my 1 year old ferret, and the youngest.  He is a MF
ferret, so we all can assume he is fixed.

I'm going to try to be as polite about this as possible, so bear with me.  I
have had both neutered and non altered dogs.  I know the "pink thing" can
still come out of the penis when they are fixed, but not as often.  I have
never heard if this happens to ferrets.

Tusk's penis has always "stuck out" farther that my others, but nothing ever
discharged or anything.  Tonight he had what kinda resembled a dogs penis
when aroused, but with a little difference.  Ofcourse I have never really
examined a dogs penis before, so they could be identical minus the size.

It was red at the base where it was coming out of the skin, and pink in the
middle, white on the end.

What I want to know is if this is normal for ferrets, mainly altered
ferrets.

And about not caging ferrets while no one is home, fine is you have a
totally ferret proofed room that they can stay in, but some people have
homes that are not safe for ferrets to run freely in unless supervised.
Other pets that may get rough, and things that ferrets might get into that
will hurt them.  You can't always put everything in a closet or on a shelf.
Just my opinion.