From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:09:00 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Jessica Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccinations
>Which are the appropriate types of rabies and distemper shots for ferts?

The legally approved vaccines are Imrab3 for Rabies and Fervac for Distemper.

>From:    Jonas and Rebecca Stoltz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick Ferret
>Stumpy was drinking water but not eating... by Wed. of last week he stopped

I would put stress induced gastro-enteritis on the top of the list.  A lot
of these ferrets are symptom free carriers of Helicobacter bacteria and the
stress (of a new home) causes them to become symptomatic.  Treatment is
sucralfate, amoxicillin, peptobismol and force feeding.

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bizarre medical question (vomiting?coughing?gaging? Adrenal)
>Last night Jitterbug woke me up from a bizarre noise she was making.  It
>sounded like she was choking on something

Sounds like perhaps an inflammation at the back of the throat (the
oropharynx region).  Allergies, colds are two possibilities.

>From:    Rob McNish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Amy's adrenal study
>Amy Cada wrote about her informal study of early neuters and the incidence
>of adrenal tumors versus animals neutered at a later age.

Actually there was a case study that was reported in Journal of the American
Vet Med Association.  Hyperadrenocorticism associated with adrenocorticol
tumor or nodular hyperplasia of the adrenal gland in ferrets: 50 cases
(1987-1991).  JAVMA, Vol 203, No.  2, July 15, 1993.  pages 271- 275.

>From:    Christopher A Montouri <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Yet another sick ferret
>However, Andy, developed a liver tumor which was removed a month and a half
>ago.  After the surgery he was acting like his ferret self but a week later
>his stitches broke open.  Yeah, it was gross.  His insides were

Is he on antibiotics?  I would wonder about an inflammation either in the
intestinal tract or in the abdominal wall (i.e., peritonitis).

>From:    Vicky James <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Health questions arise for the Freedonia ferrets
>We have 3 of the Freedonia ferrets and found out 1 1/2 weeks ago that
>Athena, the only female we took in, has Insulnoma.  She had a very bad
>seizure and was dying and we rushed her into our vets ...

There is a nice section on insulinoma in Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents
Clinical Medicine and Surgery by Hillyer and Quesenberry (Saunders).  Should
answers most questions your vet has.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA