Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:44:35 -0500
If anyone is interested in reading all about animal offences in Ohio, I
suggest you dig through the Ohio Revised Code, Title IX (Agriculture -
Animals - Fences), especially Chapter 901 (Department of Agriculture),
Chapter 959 (Offenses Relating to Domestic Animals), & subchapter
959.99 (Penalties).

You will see that the laws in Ohio are very complicated. I'm not even
going to pretend to know how to decipher many of them. But anyone here
who can make sense out of it, go for it.

One thing I would like to emphasize about this whole issue that's been
talked about here: Nobody anywhere, whether it's the state gov't,
humane societies, etc, is going to undertake any action on the
request/demand of anyone who is not a *direct witness* to any
questionable conditions. "Non-witness" messages will only clog up the
system, making messages sent by actual witnesses possibly getting lost
in the glut.

Also, a lot of agencies that I've dealt w/ personally don't even know
*how* to interpret the laws. I once had a public row w/ the director
of my local humane society (a series of letters to the editor of our
newpaper) regarding their treatment of a dog in our town, that was
living w/ no shelter, & very little food or water. A neighbor was
feeding & watering the dog when she was able to do so. The humane
society not only refused to investigate, they said they were in their
rights not to do so, as the animal *was* getting food & water. The Ohio
Revised Code states clearly that animals require adequate food, water,
*AND* shelter - not food, water, *OR* shelter. The director of our
humane society caught a lot of flack from our town, for allowing this
dog to freeze to death in it's own backyard, simply cos they refused
to investigate roughly 1.5 yrs of complaints & pleas for help, because
she *did not know the law.

I have no personal opinion on the DM issue. I haven't been there, I
haven't seen it, so any opinion I may have is just that - a useless
opinion, & not evidence. If they are doing something against the laws
of the state of Ohio, then they should be dealt w/ according to
those laws. However, if their conditions are found to be adequate &
acceptable according to the Ohio Revised Code, there's not much
anyone can do about it.

The truth is not always pretty. But that's the way the law works.

Lin, Oberon, Max, Puck, & Ivan

~ Missing my angel Ariel - 20 April 2000 - 20 January 2007. Wait for
me, my Baby Girl. I miss you so much. ~

email me at: kay tee en eye el at double-u owe aich dot ar ar dot see
owe em